Demonstration Program for Separation-Network
This demonstration program is the realization
of the algorithm published in
Kovacs, Z., Z. Ercsey, F. Friedler, and L. T. Fan,
Separation-Network Synthesis: Global Optimum through Rigorous
Super-Structure, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 24, 1881-1900
Separation-network synthesis (SNS) problems with
- simple and sharp separators,
- dividers, and
- The cost of a separation-network is the sum of
the costsof its separators.
- The cost of a separator is Difi,
fi = mass load
Di = degree of difficulty
- Demonstration program
General features of this program:
Limitations on the sizes of the problems:
- It generates the super-structure and the
corresponding mathematical-programmingmodel and also it solves this
model, i.e., the whole synthesis procedureis implemented algorithmically;
- The super-structure generated by the program
always includesthe optimal solution for the class of problems
considered, i.e., the super-structureis rigorous;
- A linear programming model is generated, and
thus it is highlyeffective;
- The optimality of the solution is guaranteed.
- The number of feed-streams can be 6 or less.
- The number of product-streams can be 6 or less.
- The number of components can be 6 or less.
- A large number of separators may appear in the
optimal solutionbecause of the linearity of the cost function;
- In general, the number of separators can be
reduced withoutincreasing the cost of the network by combining certain
separators in thenetwork; this combination of the separators is also
included in the program.
Download demonstration program for Windows95, 98 and NT (749 Kbytes)
Please send your comments to email@example.com
To the main page of the Centerfor
Advanced Process Optimization, Department of Computer Science,
University of Pannonia